Sunday, May 5, 2013

Dick Smith Make-Up Artist

I got my eyes on some make-up sets in Famous Monsters Magazine in one of their issues when I was about 12 years old and several months later I had them in my possession.



Eventually, I ran around and scared my neighbors as the 12 year old little pest I was. I was either a monster with half my face burning off or a gorilla. These "toy's" were a kid’s dream for Halloween parties and I could use my “crazy” imagination with all kinds of cool make-up effects.

Me as a 12 year old Gorilla

Had there been more information on training and courses and make-up material available then it’s possible I would have entered a career as a make-up artist for the film and theater. To this day I’m amazed of how some of the make-up effects are made. There is a TV-Show called Face-Off and it’s one of the few reality shows I watch.



 
 
 

My old time favorite artist is Dick Smith whom many consider one of the fore fathers in the make-up world (also known as the God-Father of Make-Up). Some of his works in films were; Little Big man, The God Father, The exorcist etc.  

Linda Blair, 12 years old, before make-up
and after

For more information about Dick Smith; make-up and classes:  http://www.dicksmithmake-up.com/   

No comments:

Post a Comment